What to do if your passport gets lost, stolen or is missing?

Sometimes everything in life goes right when it comes to international travel. Then there are times when you least expect it that your most important travel document “your passport”  goes missing.

No one ever plans on losing a passport or having there passport stolen on vacation in a foriegn country. The truth is that these incidents do occur and many time people do not know what to do.  Being an informed traveler will help you overcome the hardship a missing passport may cause. Although a missing passport can be stressful we recommend not panicking. Try retracing your steps and looking for it first.

When a US passport is reported lost is becomes invalid and can no longer be used for international travel. A new us passport must be obtained in order to travel through borders.

If your passport is lost, stolen or missing report it immediately.

If your passport is lost not in the United states contact the closest US embassy or consulate.

There are a few ways to notify the US state dept of a lost passport. The first is to call them by phone  toll free: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793) Operators are available 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., ET, Monday-Friday,excluding Federal holidays.

The second is to use the DS-64 lost / stolen form. The DS-64 is also used with the DS-11 form to obtain a replacement passport. After completing these forms you mail them to:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

Allpassport can expedite your lost passport or stolen passport if you are located in the United States and traveling within 30 days.