Passport record

When you apply for a U.S. passport a passport record is formed based on name, date of  birth and social security number. The reason why the State Department has a record on you is in case you ever lose your passport without identification.  The passport record is used when you need a new passport and you cannot find your proof of citizenship. In this case you can pay for a file search using the File Search Form. There is a $150 file search form fee for the US Department of State to look up your passport record this is why it’s important for the State Department to keep your record on file.

There 2 ways to obtain your passport record.

Get a passport record by yourself. or with a third party service

Do It yourself  passport record.

The Privacy Act allows you to obtain copies of records in your own name and the records of your minor children. To request these records, please submit a typed or clearly printed NOTARIZED request that provides:

  1. Your full name at birth and any subsequent name changes and/or the full name of your minor child or children, if you are requesting their records;
  2. Your date and place of birth and/or those of your minor child or children;
  3. Your current mailing address;
  4. Your current daytime telephone number;
  5. Your current e-mail address, if available;
  6. Your reason for the request;
  7. The dates or estimated dates your passports were issued;
  8. Your passport numbers or any other information that will help us locate your records; and
  9. A copy of requestor’s valid Federal or State issued photo identification (driver’s license)

There is a $50.00 fee to search for your passport record. A check or money order made payable to “Department of State” must be included with your request.

Certified Passport Record copy

Certified copies of passport records may be requested. If you would like a certified copy of a passport record, the certification fee is $50.00. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State”.

Mailing Address

Mailing Address
All requests for passport records issued from 1925 to present should be mailed to:
Department of State
Office of Legal Affairs
Law Enforcement Liaison Division
1111 19th Street, N.W. – Rm. 500
Washington, DC 20036

Use a third party to obtain passport record.

Third party requests must include one of the following:

  1. Notarized consent from the owner of the passport records,
  2. Proof of guardianship,
  3. Death certificate, or
  4. Court order signed by a judge of competent jurisdiction requesting the Department of State to release passport records.

The only exception to this requirement is when the owner of the passport records was born 100 years or more ago. Your third party request does not have to be notarized but should include the information described in the section above that covers requesting your own record and a $150.00 search fee for each individual for whom a record search is requested. Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Department of State”.

We do not charge for submitting a file form search when you make a purchase. Please contact us for this service.