Obtain a U.S. passport from outside United States

For American outside the United States to obtain a passport:

Find a U.S embassy or Consulate

When getting a U.S. passport from outside the United States the application process is different then applying within America. To obtain a U.S. passport outside the United States you must apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate and each one has different procedures for submitting your passport application.

What is the same is the application forms, supporting documents needed, passport photos, and associated fees. After all the required documents are gathered the the embassy will submit it for processing.

What you will need:

  • Passport application – apply for the passport your are getting
  • Supporting documents – verifying your citizenship and identity
  • Passport photo – read photo requirements
  • Fees – Must be paid in cash at embassy or credit card when accepted
  • Email – You will be emailed when your passport is ready

Processing Times from outside the U.S:

It can take several weeks to get your passport back to you because it must be mailed to the United States for processing. It is then mailed back to the location you applied at. Expedited Service is not available for applicants abroad.

Visit Passport Consulate

Frequent Travelers tip:

Get Travel Insurance – if you find yourself stuck abroad getting international medical insurance can be a real life save literally.